This is my favorite option, and you can use it at any stage! Send me thirty or fifty pages (or however many you want) and let me dig in. You may have crafted the most intriguing story this side of Venus, but if the first few pages contain errors or fail to hook readers, they won’t finish your book, and your reviews will suffer for it. Sometimes, you just need someone to show you the way.
Within thirty pages, most writers’ problem areas will shine. After I’m done, you can apply my corrections and suggestions to the rest of your document. This option saves you money and gets your work back in your hands more quickly. I will also summarize my findings and make general recommendations in a note to you, and if I spot an issue that can easily be corrected with Microsoft Word’s Search & Replace function, I will let you know.
- Telling the reader what a character is about to say or do before the character says or does it
- Incorrect use of quotation marks, apostrophes, dashes, hyphens, semicolons, etc.
- Dialogue/formatting issues
- Abrupt changes in point of view
- Passive verbs or repetitive use of “going to run” and “starting to run” instead of “run”
- Spacing between sentences
- Use of crutch words like actually, really, suddenly, etc.
- Too much attribution (unnecessary he said and she said)
- Word echoes. If you use an uncommon word such as nonchalant twice in a paragraph or page or chapter, I will point it out and possibly suggest an alternative
- Tendency to tell rather than show: “A fire started in the living room” instead of “Flames shot out from behind the sofa.”